Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Christmas Clean-Up

Two days ago, I took down my Christmas tree and I cried. Not only because it was my baby boy's first day of school and I was missing him like crazy. Not only because I had eaten the last of my Christmas pannetoni, or that I had the last season of M.A.S.H. playing in the background. I was sad that Christmas was officially over. And as I lovingly packed away ornaments and decorations I was reminded of the Christmases of my childhood.

You see, this year I had some new ornaments on my tree. After my grandpa passed away last year I acquired a few things that once belonged to my grandparents, or my mother when she was little. Among those things were a few Christmas ornaments. I was thrilled to have them in my own family's home and part of our Christmas. But, as I was packing them away for next year, I was suddenly overwhelmed by the realization that I will never again spend Christmas morning at my grandparents home as I had every year growing up.

It has, of course, been several years since I have been "home" for Christmas. Since I've had children of my own, we have spent Christmas here at our house with both my family and my husband's family. I look forward to Christmas for months and I love having everyone here together. We had a great time laughing, baking, eating, exchanging gifts, and playing games. Together we enjoyed old traditions and created new ones that I hope my children will look forward to for years to come.

I realized on Monday that the door has closed forever on a part of my life that I remember very fondly. Luckily, I have lots of pictures to help me keep those memories alive.

No comments: