Sunday, November 23, 2008

Panettone - Attempt #1

I made my first attempt at Panettone today. I made the dough last night, which took all of 10 minutes. I let it rise and put it in the fridge overnight, and baked the first loaf this morning. It turned out pretty good. The loaf was pretty and baking it made the house smell like a doughnut shop, yum!





Embry loved it... she would barely wait until I took this picture before she took a huge bite out of the piece that I cut for the photo.

How did I like it? That's a little more complicated. For anyone who doesn't know, before I moved to MO, I worked at a Williams-Sonoma store for 5 years. My absolute favorite thing in the whole store was the huge 2 pound panettone, $32! each. I would buy at least 3 per holiday season (with my discount of course). I looked forward to it all year round. So, my standards were very high, yet I knew the one I made would never come close. So, even though it was not the same, I was not disappointed. It was very good. And I will continue to make it, and try to tweak the recipe to make it better. Thanks Ginny! for such a great book!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, So the bread looks good to me.

I'm really proud of myself. I headed the cooking our house Thanksgiving dinner again. I brined the turkey again this year, with a little bit different of a recipe for the brine and stuffing. It was even beter than last year.

Instead of pumpkin pie, we had pumpkin moose. It was so easy and so delicious. I'll have to tell you the recipe. It takes about 5 minutes to make.

We also had stuffing balls, baked yams with a sweet citrus sauce, homemade mac & cheese, oh and a small ham with a mustard rub and an apple cider glaze. oh, and homemade apple pie baked in a paper bag. It made the crust a lot more moist. of course mashed potatoes, broccoli, and carrots as well.

I even made turkey soup out of the left overs. I'm not so satisfied with this though. I had a friend in college who made the best turkey soup, but I can't replicate it. Any tips or good recipes?

Hey, when are you going up to mom's? I'll give you guys a call on Thanksgiving. Safe travels and have a great time.