Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Wednesday Update

Around the house: Our house is the sick house this week. Matthew has a miserable cold, and he has graciously shared it with me just as I am finishing my third round of antibiotics for Strep that seems to never quite go away. Embry has not caught his cold yet, but I'm sure it's only a matter of time. So, you may ask why am I posting to my blog during Matthew's nap when I could be sleeping? Well, after trying for two weeks to get an appointment with a electrician to inspect our basement, they are finally coming today. Of course, it may be anytime between 8am and 1pm. So, I am staying awake in case he decides to show up this morning. But I am betting that he will show between 11am and noon when I am picking up Embry from school. Ok, enough complaining.

In the kitchen: Too tired to cook. We've been eating leftovers, frozen pizza and eggs for dinner.

New with Embry: Embry has been more and more forthcoming about what she does at school. Yesterday, one of the student's parent is a glassblower and he did demonstrations for all of the classes. I asked Embry about it and she said, "A guy came to school. He got some glass very hot and it turned into liquid. Then he made it into shapes." She's even been telling me what they ate for a snack everyday.

New with Matthew: Matthew has reached an emotional milestone. It used to be that he was easily distracted when Embry would take something away from him. But a couple of weeks ago, she did just that. Matthew whined at first, but when she didn't give it back he reached over, grabbed a handful of hair and pulled hard. It didn't have exactly the desired effect, (Embry yelled and ran over to me for sympathy) but it was definitely a breakthrough for him to stand up for himself like that. Embry still takes things away from him occasionally, but now he definitely makes his feelings about it known.

I am grateful for: So many things lately...3 hours of uninterrupted sleep, a husband who will stay up in the middle of the night to comfort a congested baby, a patient and understanding big sister, Steak-n-Shake, Dancing with the Stars.

The weather outside: Last Friday I opened the front door and decided it was winter. The sky was grey, the trees are bare, it was cold and it smelled like snow. We haven't got any snow yet, but I am looking forward to it...(no I'm not crazy, I've just been living in Alabama for the last 6 years and have been deprived of winter.)

I'm obsessing about: De-cluttering the house. The Holidays bring lots of stuff into the house, so every year I try to get rid of or store anything that's sitting around that we are not using everyday. Room by room I make space for all of the new stuff that will be coming in.

No comments: