I'd like to share a couple of recipes that I have tried and loved this summer...
Grilled Zucchini Salad
6 medium zucchini cut into planks and grilled
1 cup grape or small cherry tomatoes, halved
4 Tbsp fresh basil, chopped
1/2 cup of extra virgin olive oil
2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Chop zucchini into bite size pieces and toss with all other ingredients. Serve warm.
*This recipe is great if you have fresh herbs. The basil really gives it a ton of flavor. You can saute the zucchini if you don't want to grill it. Either way it helps the zucchini not to be mushy if you salt it before cooking (lay out planks on a rack or towel and sprinkle both sides with kosher salt, let sit for at least 30 minutes). This helps to draw out the extra moisture in the zucchini.
Layered Jello Dessert
2 3oz. boxes of Strawberry or Cherry Jello
1 10oz container of frozen sliced strawberries, sweetened
1 1/2 cups vanilla ice cream
1. Dissolve one box of Jello in 1 cup of boiling water.
2. Add frozen strawberries to Jello, breaking up with a fork. Stir until slightly thickened.
3. Pour into serving dish, a 5 cup mold or any clear dish. Refrigerate until firm, but not set. It should be sticky on the top.
4. Dissolve the other box of Jello in 1 cup boiling water.
5. Stir in ice cream by the spoon full, waiting for each spoonful to melt before adding the next. Jello will thicken slightly.
6. Gently spoon ice cream mixture on top of strawberry mixture. Refrigerate until firm, about 4 hours.
*I got this recipe from my Aunt after eating it at her house this summer. She said that it was ancient and came from a magazine like BH&G. It is a huge hit with kids and looks pretty even in a plain glass mixing bowl. You can dress it up with a couple of fresh strawberries on top and a couple of mint leaves.